sábado, 14 de fevereiro de 2015

The Brussels Summit ended on a note of cautious optimism in the face of the peace agreement for the Eastern Ukraine.

The twenty-eight left a warning: If the new Minsk agreement is not fulfilled, there will be more sanctions.

The Ukrainian crisis shared the stage at the Summit of leaders of the European Union with Greece.

After two days of disagreement between Athens and the Eurogroup, both parties agreed, at least, to launch a technical assessment of the commonalities and differences between the program of the new Greek Government and of the "troika".

The President of the European Commission underlined that "there is still much to do" to the new meeting of the Eurogroup, on next Monday. Jean-Claude Juncker said that "the Greek Government said it may agree with 70 percent of the current program. We must see that match these 70 percent and, for the remaining 30 percent, we must see what we can do. "

Proof that, in the coming days, the work will take place also complicated, at the conclusion of the Summit, the head of the Greek Government said that Athens "does not blackmail" but also "not accepted".

Alexis Tsipras explained that his Government "disagrees with harsh fiscal discipline rules and with the stability pact, although it is obliged to respect them, because they are the founding rules of the European treaties. This is the commitment and the crucial combination: respect the basic principles; the principles of democracy and the rules ".

The small effort of alignment of positions allowed, however, for now, postponing the expected confrontation between Greece and Germany.

Rodrigo Barbosa | With AFP/REUTERS

If You Enjoyed This, Take 5 Seconds To Share It